• 30°

Lamar ousts Washington from AAA soccer playoffs

By Staff
NOT HERE YOU DON'T – Lamar School's Brittany Sherrill sweeps the ball away from a Washington School player during the Lady Raiders 5-0 playoff win on Monday. Photo by Paula Merritt/The Meridian Star
By Jeff Byrd / staff writer
Oct. 8, 2002
For the past three years, Washington School has proved to be the proverbial thorn in Lamar School's bid for advancement in the MPSA girls soccer playoffs.
That thorn, however, was removed rather easily on a damp field Monday at Northeast Park.
The Lamar Lady Raiders thoroughly dominated Washington School taking a 5-0 victory in the first round of the Academy AAA playoffs. Lamar, now 10-3, advances on to the MPSA AAA semifinal round on Wednesday afternoon at Pillow Academy in Greenwood.
Lamar sweeper Cheryl Luquire was glad to see the Lady Raiders rise up and end Washington's season for a change.
Lady Raiders head coach Eddie Escobar readily agrees.
Lamar took control from the start, scoring its first goal within the first four minutes of the game. Jessi Fort sent a corner kick right in front of the goal that caught the back-foot of Kelly Brown and into the goal for a 1-0 lead.
From there, Lamar's solid midfield led by center Emily Thompson and forwards Lisa and Amy Swartzfager kept Washington School off balance. The Lady Generals managed only two shots on goal in the first half.
By then, Lamar was up 2-0 following a 15-yard kick from Lisa Swartzfager after Amy Swartzfager took down a Washington defender.
Washington had a break but the save was made. The side kick was then wide.
Lamar came back with more shots on the Washington goal. Another corner kick by Fort barely missed. Another shot hit squarely off the top post.
Washington School became listless early in the second half allowing two more quick goals. Thompson made the first, easily beating her defender and the goalie for a 3-0 edge.
Fort then sped past three defenders to boot in a 10-yarder for a 4-0 lead.
Lisa Swartzfager scored the final goal for Lamar to make it 5-0.
With 15 minutes to go, Escobar began subbing at liberty. The Washington second unit began getting some shots at goal. The Lady Generals had five shots but three were saved by the keeper and the other two went wide.