Commission approves courthouse elevator maintenance
In its regular meeting Dec. 19, the Franklin County Commission voted to authorize a purchase order for repairs to the courthouse elevator.
Probate Judge Barry Moore said the cost, originally expected to be $53,000 when discussed during the budget meeting, has come in under $49,000, which is under the bid law, so the project does not have to be bid out.
Moore said ARPA funds will be used to pay this expense.
He explained because of supply chain issues the parts are not expected to arrive until June or July 2023.
While the elevator is working currently, Moore said these maintenance issues must be dealt with – and with the long lead time to get parts, as well as the availability of ARPA funds, now is the time.
The commission also approved a mutual maintenance agreement for Highway 70 with Marion County.
For 30 years, Marion County had kept up the west side and Franklin County had kept up the east side of this highway, under an unofficial agreement, since the road “dips in and out of both counties,” as explained by recently-retired county engineer David Palmer. This past summer Palmer reported Marion County was no longer willing to do that, so he suggested having the county line surveyed.
Based on that survey, determining which parts of the road are in Franklin County and which parts are in Marion County, a document of mutual agreement was drafted and sent to Marion County. The Franklin County Commission approved it during the Dec. 19 meeting, and Marion County also approved it during a meeting held the same day.
In other business, the commission:
- Heard from Franklin County revenue commissioner Stratt Byars, who noted since the last day of the year falls on a Saturday this year, and the courthouse will be closed Jan. 2 in observance of the holiday, property taxes should be postmarked no later than Jan. 3 or in the office no later than Jan. 3 at 5 p.m.
- Approved 2023 annual material bids, based on a letter of recommendation from county engineer Jason Baggett.
- Declared as surplus a 2004 John Deere tractor, along with attached Alamao brush cutter, to be listed on GovDeals.com.
- Declared as surplus a 2007 Chevrolet truck with 170,000 miles, to be listed on GovDeals.com.
- Hired temporary corrections officer/dispatcher Hailey Brown.
- Approved advertisement for a permanent corrections officer/dispatcher.
- Accepted resignation of Brent Wells as deputy, effective Dec. 23.
- Approved resolution for expenditure of ARPA funds for the DHR roof, which was originally expected to be $7,250. The final bill came in at $7,450.
- Approved bidding out the EMA’s EOC room supplies, due by 2 p.m. Jan. 12.
- Signed for the Homeland Security grant the EMA received, which involves paying up front but being reimbursed later.