Landfill withdraws expansion request
In a Sept. 8 letter issued by Franklin County Land Management Inc., to the Franklin County Commission, FCLM withdrew its request seeking major permit modifications to expand and change the nature of the Franklin County landfill. The changes were being sought for ADEM SWDF Permit No. 30-04. The expansion had been hotly opposed.
Franklin County, News, Top News Stories FRONT PAGE, Z - News Main, Z - TOP HOME
 By  María Camp Published 
11:33 pm Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Landfill withdraws expansion request

In a Sept. 8 letter issued by Franklin County Land Management Inc., to the Franklin County Commission, FCLM withdrew its request seeking major permit modifications to expand and change the nature of the Franklin County landfill.

The changes were being sought for ADEM SWDF Permit No. 30-04.

The letter, signed by Neil Hargett, president of FCLM, reads in part,

“At this time, Franklin County Land Management Inc., withdraws its previously filed application from further consideration by the Franklin County Commission.

“This application withdrawal does not waive, release or otherwise in any way prevent or bar Franklin County Land Management Inc. from refiling said application at a future date.”

As a result of the withdrawal, the Sept. 22 public hearing to consider public comments about the proposed changes has been canceled. Thirty-three people were scheduled to speak.

CHANGES SOUGHT

The changes, had they been approved as requested, would have allowed for expansion of the facility’s service area to include all cities and counties in Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee, as well as an increase in the facility’s acreage for waste disposal from 45 acres to a maximum of 467 acres.

The expansion would have also allowed for an increase in the facility’s maximum average daily volume to 1,000 tons per day, as well as:

  • Construction and operation of Municipal Solid Waste Landfill Units as defined by ADEM Admin Code 335-13-1-.03(89).
  • Acceptance and disposal of municipal solid wastes, industrial wastes, construction and demolition debris and other water types authorized by the ADEM Division 13 regulations for disposal in a municipal solid waste landfill.

The proposal for the expansion and change of nature of the Franklin County landfill sparked backlash in the community, with those opposed sending in Letters to the Editor, advertising, rallying in a Facebook group and making calls to their commissioners.

Randy Schultz, who lives near the landfill, was among those vocal in opposition to the proposed changes.

“The withdrawal of Franklin County Land Management’s request to build a mega landfill that would have received solid waste from three states is good news for all county citizens.”

Schultz said the owners of FCLM are to be commended “for hearing the pleas of their friends and neighbors in this matter.”

“We all have differing opinions and views, but we are all part of one county,” added Schultz. “All citizens and governments of the county should have learned a lot from this process that will serve them well when issues like this come before us in the future.”

He said he was “pleasantly surprised that our citizens stood up and supported the stop the landfill effort and the willingness of our citizens to let their voices be heard.”

“Franklin County residents can breathe a temporary sigh of relief,” agreed Scott Mugno, another among those who voiced opposition to the proposal. “While we would have preferred the finality of a ‘no’ vote by the commission, we were surprisingly pleased by FCLM’s withdrawal of its application.”

Mugno said though he’s pleased about the withdrawal, he plans to stay ready for what might come in the future.

“As we were fighting for our homes and way of life here in Franklin County, we planned and prepared for the long fight. As FCLM’s withdrawal states they reserve the right to refile, we’ll stay at the ready as well.

“Clearly, the county commission and FCLM didn’t consider or foresee the overwhelming opposition to the proposed mega multi-state garbage dump from the Franklin County residents,” added Mugno. “Franklin County residents stood up for their homes and way of life and they should be very proud of themselves.”

He shared his concerns that some were in favor of the changes.

“Some in this county thought a mega multi-state garbage dump was economic development,” Mugno said. “Franklin County residents clearly said ‘no.’ Instead, they believe recreational and other environmentally-friendly economic development is our county’s future.”

Questions and written concerns may be submitted to the Franklin County Commission at P.O. Box 1028, Russellville, AL 35653.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *