AHSAA releases new areas for basketball
The Alabama High School Athletic Association approved new basketball areas for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 school years March 15.
The regions and areas for football and volleyball were released in December. Alignments for baseball, softball, soccer and other spring sports will be in June.
The biggest changes came to areas involving Phil Campbell and Tharptown. The other areas remain relatively the same.
The following are new boys and girls basketball areas:
- Class 5A, Area 15: Russellville, Brewer, Lawrence County and West Point
- Class 3A, Area 15: Phil Campbell, Colbert County, Colbert Heights and Danville
- Class 2A, Area 16: Tharptown, Hatton, Lexington, Mars Hill and Sheffield
- Class 2A, Area 10: Red Bay, Lamar County, Sulligent and Winston County
- Class 1A, Area 14: Belgreen, Vina, Hackleburg and Phillips