Winter weather changes sub-region schedule
A major winter storm has forced local schools to reschedule sub–region basketball games.
Normally, girls sub–region games would be played Monday, followed by boys sub–region games Tuesday.
This year, however, because of significant accumulation of ice on roads and bridges, all local sub–region games have been moved to Wednesday.
Here is the current sub–region schedule for Franklin County teams:
- Belgreen will host Shoals Christian Wednesday at 4 p.m.
- Vina will travel to R.A. Hubbard Wednesday at 5 p.m.
- Phil Campbell will host Elkmont Wednesday at 5 p.m.
- Belgreen will host Covenant Christian Wednesday at 6 p.m.
- Red Bay will host Winston County Wednesday at 5 p.m.
- Russellville will host Mae Jemison Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
With temperatures not expected to climb above freezing until noon Wednesday, more rain expected Wednesday afternoon and temperatures diving below freezing again after midnight Thursday, there is a narrow window to get these games in before the opening round of Northwest Regionals, which are slated to begin Thursday and Friday.
The opening round of the Northwest Regionals will be at local schools this year instead of Wallace State Community College in Hanceville because of COVID-19 precautions.