Why I Love Franklin County: Jason Miller
Franklin County Commissioner Jason Miller is also a local business owner of Miller’s Affordable Furniture and a former firefighter. The lifelong Franklin County resident is a 2000 graduate of Russellville High School and a graduate of the Florence Fire Academy. He has been married to his wife Belinda, city clerk for the City of Russellville, for eight years. They have three children: Hunter, Jaxon and Eliza.
1. Tell us about your role as a county commissioner and what makes it meaningful.
I chose my job as a firefighter because I had a desire to help and protect people, and I was proud to have the opportunity to do that in the community I grew up in. With a family that included small children, I eventually began to look for a way I could still fulfill my desire to help others but in a way that would allow me to spend more time with my family. After prayerfully considering my options, I chose to run for county commissioner in District 2. After I was elected, I left my job with the fire department and dedicated my time to helping people in a different way that would allow me to make positive changes and be part of the decisions that would improve the quality of life for Franklin County citizens, which I’ve truly enjoyed.
2. What do you enjoy about your job as a local business owner?
My day job as the owner of Miller’s Affordable Furniture has also been fulfilling. This is a family business my father started in 1995, and I’m proud to be part of that legacy and part of the local business community in Russellville.
3. What is your favorite place to visit in Franklin County?
Little Bear Lake is my favorite place to visit. I enjoy fishing, and you can’t beat the scenery. Franklin County really is a beautiful place.
4. What are your favorite Franklin County restaurants?
Frosty Inn and 43 Grill are probably my favorites. Frosty Inn has been around for a long time and is part of my memories growing up, and you can’t beat their food. 43 Grill is a great restaurant and an asset to the city. I enjoy having somewhere to get a nice, sit-down meal locally.
5. Why do you love Franklin County?
I love Franklin County because it’s home. This is where I grew up and where I’m now raising my own family. I love the people and the general spirit of helping your neighbor and being there for one another. I love the small-town hospitality. And I love the landscape of Franklin County: From the Dismals Canyon to our lakes and city parks, there’s more here than meets the eye.
1. Favorite hobby: Watching my kids play basketball.
2. Favorite food: Ribeye steak
3. Goal or ambition: To make a positive change in our community and help make Franklin County the best it can be.
4. Church: Friendship Missionary Baptist Church in Russellville
5. Something people might not know about me is: I started my first business when I was 19.