County schools serve meals Mondays
Franklin County, News, Top News Stories FRONT PAGE, Z - News Main, Z - TOP HOME
 By  Bart Moss Published 
3:22 pm Monday, March 23, 2020

County schools serve meals Mondays

There were many questions school systems around the state had to grapple with last week when schools began to close because of the coronavirus. One of the main questions was: How are we going to continue to provide meals to our students, who depend on us?

Franklin County Schools is providing meals to children up to the age of 18 during the school closure caused by the coronavirus. Meals for the entire week are prepackaged by lunchroom workers and volunteers in each community. They can be picked up at each school in the county on Mondays from 10 a.m. to noon.

Meals are also being distributed to homes of bus riders by bus drivers during the same time.

If a student meets a bus at a certain location, they must be at that location to pick up the meals. Students themselves must be at the location of the pickup.

Students must also be in the car while they are picking up meals at the school. Meals can not be given to adults.

“Like a lot of other systems, this hit us quick, and we had to come up with a plan,” said Franklin County Superintendent Greg Hamilton. “We decided to run the car line where no one gets out of a vehicle.

“We have large numbers of our students who ride the bus, so we came up with a plan to use the buses to hand out meals.”

The plan first went into implantation March 18, when more than 15,906 meals prepared – breakfast and lunch for three days.

The plan went into full implementation Monday, providing breakfast and lunch for five days.

The USDA has granted a waiver to schools to run this program through June 30 if necessary.

“I want to thank each and every employee and volunteer that has helped make this meal plan available to our students,” said Hamilton. “The compassion of these employees is one of the characteristics that makes the Franklin County Schools system great.

“We are experiencing unprecedented times, and we need to help our students any way we can.”

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *