Bicentennial tree commemorates fallen soldiers
Franklin County, Galleries, News, Top News Stories FRONT PAGE, Z - News Main, Z - TOP HOME
 By  Lauren Wester Published 
8:09 am Friday, April 26, 2019

Bicentennial tree commemorates fallen soldiers

Countless soldiers have fallen in the line of duty, but one battle stands out in history and in Franklin County: the Battle of Meuse-Argonne. It took place in 1918 during World War I and is known as the largest in U.S. military history and deadliest in American history. A total of 21 men from Franklin County gave their lives during this battle.

In 1919 the president of France gave the state of Alabama 10 trees from the forest where the battle took place, to recognize their service. Franklin County received one of those trees, and it was planted in downtown Russellville at the intersection of Jackson Avenue and Lawrence Street. The ceremonial tree planting was held April 23, 1919.

Now, 200 years later, during the state of Alabama’s bicentennial and the City of Russellville’s bicentennial – and just following last year’s celebration of Franklin County’s bicentennial –another ceremonial tree is honoring this history.

April 23 a crowd gathered outside of the Franklin County Archives to witness and take part in the planting of the “victory oak” and the revealing of the historical monument alongside it.

“I’ve been working on this one ceremony for over a year,” said Bicentennial Committeee Chairperson Chris Ozbirn. “Everyone I’ve asked for help for this day, not a one of them turned me down.”

Bert Fowler delivered the invocation. The Tuscumbia Honor Guard did the posting and retrieving of the colors. Don Johnson led the pledge of allegiance, and Tommy Quinn performed the National Anthem.

Russellville Mayor David Grissom shared the history of the “victory oak” tree, and Probate Judge Barry Moore delivered a speech recognizing the fallen Franklin County soldiers.

“This oak tree is here for the generations that went to war so we have this freedom today,” Moore said. “This tree will be a reminder to future generations that come and visit the archives, what this actually means.”

Ozbirn, Moore, Grissom, Hodges Mayor Joyce Saad and Dwayne Raper scooped the first ceremonial shovelfuls of mulch around the tree before the Boy Scouts unveiled the historical marker in front of it.

Bicentennial celebrations will continue throughout the year until the final event in November.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *