RFD: Use caution with 9-volt batteries
People can sometimes forget the danger that can be inherent in batteries – particularly when they are misused. The Russellville Fire Department is encouraging people to be aware of the risks surrounding 9-volt batteries – those commonly used to power smoke alarms, household items and even children’s toys.
These batteries can be a fire hazard if not stored or disposed of safely. Because the positive and negative posts are close together, if a metal object touches the two posts, it can cause a short circuit – creating enough heat to start a fire.
A few tips to keep in mind:
- It is unsafe to store 9-volt batteries in a drawer near paper clips, coins, pens or other batteries, and they should not be stored near steel wool, aluminum foil or keys.
- Even weak batteries can have enough charge to start a fire.
- Batteries thrown away with household trash can come in contact with other batteries or piece of metal and ignite.
- Keep batteries in their original packaging until ready to use them; or, if batteries are loose, keep the posts covered with masking, duct or electrical tape.
– Store batteries standing up.
– To dispose, take 9-volt batteries to a collection site for household hazardous waste.