Franklin County, News
 By  Alison James Published 
10:21 am Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Morrow files suit to halt Bentley spending

Johnny Mack Morrow

Johnny Mack Morrow

According to reports, a civil suit was filed Monday seeking to halt the Bentley administration from spending BP funds without legislative approval, and a local representative is part of the suing party.

State Rep. Johnny Mack Morrow and State Auditor Jim Zeigler are asking a Montgomery County Circuit to issue a declaratory judgment that Bentley’s spending of BP funds be declared unconstitutional and enjoin the spending.

Bentley had spent $1.8 million of BP funds on restoring the Governor’s Beach House. That project is not part of the suit because it is now completed, according to state auditor Jim Zeigler, a strong opponent of the beach house project.

The suit, filed in Montgomery County Circuit Court, alleges the administration started spending on March 17 of this year to build a four-star hotel and conference center where the Gulf State Park Lodge used to be. They allege spending the funds is “unconstitutional and unlawful because none are derived from any source of funds allowed by Alabama law.”

The Bentley administration is using BP grant funds for the current work at the Gulf hotel and conference center site. The suit cites Code of Alabama section 9-4E-1 which states that only “project revenues, National Resource Damage Assessment funds or Restore Act Funds may be expended” for this project.

“This unlawful and illegal expenditure is also wasteful and hasty, and includes incurring unnecessary overtime payments for construction work as recently as Sunday, July 17, 2016, all in order to ‘outrun’ consideration by this Honorable Court by racing to illegally complete (the project).”  The suit asked for an expedited hearing.

Zeigler had earlier ordered Bentley to appear in the state auditor’s office and answer questions under oath about a long list of topics. That order cited a never-used section of the law. Bentley declined to appear.

The suit says “the recalcitrance of Bentley requires the filing of the suit to obtain from Bentley, and persons acting in concert with him, information vital …”

“I will finally get to put Gov. Bentley under oath and question him, this time as a defendant in this civil suit,” Zeigler said Tuesday. Defendants in civil suits are subject to being questioned in sworn depositions.

The suit names as defendants Bentley, conservation commissioner Gunter Guy, attorney general Luther Strange, acting finance director Bill Newton, and R. Cooper Shattuck, executive director of the Gulf State Park Project.

The suit asks for a speedy hearing, a declaratory judgment, and a restraining order against spending of funds without authority.

The suit is a by-partisan effort. Morrow is a Democrat and Zeigler is a Republican. The law firm of former attorney general Bill Baxley is representing the plaintiffs.

 

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *