Franklin County, News, RSS Facebook, RSS General, RSS Twitter, Russellville
 By  Staff Reports Published 
9:01 am Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Man pleads to theft, assault

By Alison James

alison.james@fct.wpengine.com

 

A Russellville man arrested in October 2014 and charged with robbing the local McDonalds at gunpoint pleaded guilty last week, prior to trial.

Mebratu “Mike” Ogbazgi Mehur, 27, formerly of Holiday Plaza Apartments in Russellville, pleaded guilty to theft, second degree, and assault, second degree, prior to jury selection for the trial that was originally set to begin this week.

According to district attorney Joey Rushing, Mehur was sentenced to two 10-year consecutive sentences to be split – Mehur will serve five years in prison, guaranteed, with automatic five years probation. Any criminal activity during the term of tahat probation will require him to serve the remaining 15 years of the original sentence.

“It’s a way to ensure he serves a specific amount of time in prison without getting parole,” Rushing said, adding that five years is the maximum length of prison sentence for the split sentence scenario.

As previously reported, Chief Chris Hargett said the suspect entered the restaurant through a side door around the time the employees were preparing to close the business for the evening.

After entering the business armed with a 12-guage pump shotgun, the suspect forced the employees and one customer to the rear of the store and ordered the manager to open the safe.

According to police investigator Lt. Scotty Lowery, after gaining entry to the safe, the suspect stole over $1,500 in cash and then left the business.

Hargett said investigators were able to retrieve the weapon used during the robbery along with over $1,500 cash and other items.

Rushing said while Mehur had originally claimed the cash in his vehicle was not from the robbery, as part of his guilty plea, he has also relinquished claim to the money.

Mehur is a legal resident alien, Rushing said. It is not clear at this time whether the guilty plea will have any impact on that status.

Rushing gave credit to Russellville Police Department for their part in taking Mehur into custody.

 

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *