• 86°
franklin county times

Couple charged for roles in burglaries, thefts

Two people were arrested on Thursday after law enforcement officials connected them to a string of thefts in the area.
Charlotte Winston Williams, 46, 713 Campbell St., Florence, was arrested on charges of third-degree burglary, disorderly conduct and public intoxication.
Billy Joe Evans, Jr., 28, 33739 Franklin 724, Russellville was arrested for second-degree receiving stolen property.
According to Russellville Police Chief Chris Hargett, officers received a call at 7:30 a.m. Thursday that a female had made forcible entry into a home in the 400 block of Waterloo Avenue and ran out the back door.
Investigator Lt. Scott Lowery said officers were able to apprehend Williams, and while questioning her about the forcible entry into the home, they received a call that someone had reported a car break-in on South Green Avenue.
“We received information that the victim in the car break-in on Green Avenue had her purse, debit card, license and other personal items stolen from her vehicle,” Lowery said. “It just so happened that when we were questioning Ms. Williams about the break-in on Waterloo Road, we discovered she was in possession of the victim’s drivers license from the car break-in on Green.”
After arresting Williams for her alleged role in the Waterloo Road break-in and for disorderly conduct after she reportedly became belligerent during the arrest, officers once again received a call about a shoplifter inside the Russellville Wal-Mart.
“When officers arrived at the store, they came in contact with Mr. Evans who had been caught shoplifting,” Lowery said. “While they were dealing with him on the shoplifting allegations, they discovered he was in possession of the purse and other personal items that were stolen out of the car on Green Avenue.”
Lowery said they determined Williams and Evans had been together on and off throughout the night on Wednesday and were connected to the separate crimes.
At press time, Williams was out of jail on bond but Evans remained in custody on a $2,500 bond.