News
 By  Kellie Singleton Published 
4:02 pm Friday, February 3, 2012

Man pleads guilty in child abuse case

A man accused of inflicting serious injuries on his girlfriend’s two-year-old son in September of 2010 entered a guilty plea in the case to avoid going to trial, officials said.

Richard Edward Agee Jr., 24, 275 Willingham Road, Tuscumbia, pleaded guilty to aggravated child abuse and agreed to a 15-year sentence split with 21 months to serve followed by five years probation, Franklin County District Attorney Joey Rushing said.

Rushing said Agee’s case was scheduled to go to trial on Tuesday but they reached a settlement during a pre-trial conference last week.

Rushing said the mother of the child agreed to the settlement before it was final.

“We went over the options with the victim’s mother and she approved the final offer of aggravated child abuse,” Rushing said.

“There were a lot of issues as to what actually caused the injuries to the child but we were confident the defendant was responsible.”

According to reports, Agee was originally indicted for aggravated child abuse and attempted murder following a Sept. 27, 2010, incident when Agee was reportedly babysitting his girlfriend’s two-year-old son.

According to authorities, Agee was accused of shaking the child so severely that he became unresponsive and paramedics had to respond to the residence.

Medical personnel at the time reportedly stated that the severe head injuries were consistent with shaken baby syndrome.

Officials said the child was airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Birmingham where he was placed on a ventilator for several weeks.

Agee denied the allegations at the time of his arrest and said that he was watching the child while the child’s mother was at work. He said the child was watching T.V. on the couch and when he got up to go to the door, he noticed the child was slumped over and not breathing.

Medical personnel said the child’s injuries could have only been sustained from a violent shaking, which is why Rushing said he was determined for Agee to spend time in prison.

“We hope the prison time Mr. Agee received in this case will send the message that those who abuse defenseless children will suffer the consequences for those actions,” Rushing said.

 

 

 

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *