News, RSS Facebook, RSS General, RSS Twitter
 By  Kellie Singleton Published 
5:31 pm Friday, September 23, 2011

Accused child kidnapper accepts plea deal

The Russellville woman accused of fleeing the state in March with two children she had been babysitting pleaded guilty to interference with custody last Thursday, officials said.

Teresa Lynn McGee, 30, 75 Wallace St., Russellville, accepted the plea of interference with custody, a Class C felony, and received a 10-year sentence split with time to serve and five years of probation.

McGee was first charged with two counts of first-degree kidnapping in March when she took brothers Angel Everado Montoya, 6, and his brother, Christian Santos Montoya, 5, to Indiana and did not inform the boys’ father, Everado Montoya, she had left the state with them.

Authorities were first alerted to the situation when school officials received a call from McGee stating that she wished to have the boys withdrawn from school and then had a man come on the phone who posed as the boys’ father.

After the principal of the school became suspicious, he called Montoya’s local place of work and when Montoya answered, the principal knew something was wrong and contacted the police.

Authorities were able to trace McGee to Indianapolis, Ind., where she was apprehended without incident and the children were found unharmed.

“When the story about Teresa McGee first came out, the facts of the case sounded very bad,” Franklin County District Attorney Joey Rushing said. “After getting all the reports from the Department of Human Resources, all of the investigative paperwork and after speaking with the victim, Mr. Montoya, we decided this was the most fair settlement in this case. There was a lot more to the story once the investigation was complete.”

Rushing said the decision to have McGee enter into the plea agreement was based on the evidence, the confidential DHR reports and Montoya’s wish for McGee not to serve anymore time in jail.

He added that if McGee violates any of the terms of the plea agreement in her five-year probation period, she will be ordered to serve the 10-year sentence.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *