News, RSS Facebook, RSS General, RSS Twitter
 By  Staff Reports Published 
7:47 am Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cap halts Gulf oil leak for first time since April

Kerry Bean

The Brewton Standard

Off the coast of Gulf Shores Thursday, more oil‚ both a light sheen and darker patches of fresher oil‚ were encroaching the beach for the first time in days, even as vacationers continued to enjoy the summer sun.

But there was good news Thursday afternoon: For the first time since April, BP officials announced oil had stopped flowing from the underwater well that was damaged in an explosion three months ago. A new cap over the leak was still being tested late Thursday.

“We are encouraged by this development, but this isn’t over,” incident commander Adm. Thad Allen said in a statement.

“Over the next several hours we will continue to collect data and work with the federal science team to analyze this information and perform additional seismic mapping runs in the hopes of gaining a better understanding on the condition of the well bore and options for temporary shut in of the well during a hurricane. It remains likely that we will return to the containment process using this new stacking cap connected to the risers to attempt to collect up to 80,000 barrels of oil per day until the relief well is completed.”

On a reconnaissance mission along the coast Thursday, National Guard and Coast Guard officials spotted oil sheen and other patches of oil‚ some already reddened by dispersants‚ near Gulf Shores. They alerted officials on the ground, who quickly directed oil recovery vessels to the sites. Those boats‚ called Vessels of Opportunity by the Coast Guard, are often fishing boats in need of other work because of the oil spill. Working often in pairs, they drag boom through the oil to try to absorb and contain it.

Coast Guard Third Class Petty Officer Will Jones, a spotter on Thursday’s flight, said he had not seen that much oil in several days.

“I’ve been up here a total 30 hours so far‚ over multiple missions, he said.

“I haven’t seen anything this bad.”

Jones said the wind current was likely pushing more oil toward shore.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
February 18, 2026
There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of staying home. They fill the sidew...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *