Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
7:09 am Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cell phone usage policies reviewed

By Staff
Nathan Strickland
Technology is taking over the classroom, but some high-tech, leisure devices are currently not allowed on school grounds.
A Franklin County district policy states that students are not allowed to carry cell phones with them on campus.
A Vina High School parent was upset that school officials confiscated a cell phone from her son’s pocket during a weapons search last week.
Although the cell phone was given back to the student at the end of the day, the parent claimed the only way information has been leaked out during a school shutdown was by cell phone and believes she should have a way to contact her son immediately if something were to go wrong.
Superintendent of Franklin County Schools Gary Williams said the policy regarding cell phones on campus needed to be discussed a little more.
Williams said cell phones are so advanced students can use them to take inappropriate pictures of other students or text test answers to their friends in the classroom. Williams said these are some of the reasons the policy for cell phones is so strict at his schools.
Russellville city schools superintendent Don Cox said students are allowed to have cell phones on Russellville’s campus, but are not allowed to use them in anyway during class time.
Cox said that other technical devices used for entertainment purposes such as IPods are not allowed to be used in the classroom as well. Laptops and tools of that nature that are used to assist in educational purposes are allowed.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *