Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
11:27 pm Wednesday, January 14, 2009

County still looking at transport options

By Staff
Jonathan Willis
A week after learning that the state may no longer transport bodies to and from autopsies, county officials are still trying to decide what to do.
The Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences announced last week that they would no longer transport bodies to autopsies.
In the past, the office would carry the bodies of those who died under mysterious circumstances to forensic labs in Huntsville, Mobile, Montgomery or Tuscaloosa and then would return the body to the funeral home of the family's choice.
Last week, Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences Director Michael Sparks announced the department had to cut 10 percent from its budget, which would total about $1.4 million. He said state law does not mandate transporting bodies and discontinuing it would save about $400,000.
That will have little effect on coroner's offices in larger counties such as Jefferson, which performs its own autopsies, and others who already transport bodies themselves.
But in the less populated counties, coroners are wondering how they will transport the bodies of those who die in homicides or do not have an apparent cause of death.
Franklin County Coroner Elzie Malone told the county commission Monday night that he was still looking for solutions.
Malone said he asked local car dealerships for bids on vehicles that could be used to carry the bodies.
Sheriff Larry Plott said he would be in Montgomery this week with the state sheriff's association and that group planned to discuss the matter as well.
Commissioners suggested contacting the state to see what the vehicles they had been using would be used for now.
Malone said the state would not be picking up bodies after Jan. 19.
Plott said the large van his department uses is not equipped for the transportation of bodies.
Gov. Bob Riley has set Friday as a deadline to decide whether or not to override the mandate.
"I'm hoping the governor will override that decision because this can't wait," Malone said. "This is something we just weren't prepared for."

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *