2008 fishing goals
Franklin County Times
While thinking about my personal resolutions for 2008 naturally some of my thoughts were about fishing. This week I will share some of my fishing resolutions for 2008.
1. I resolve to take Jason Cannon fishing in 2008. I've told him for a year that when the fish were biting we would go, but due to busy schedules and uncooperative fish, it hasn't happened yet. This year I will get Jason in a boat.
2. I resolve to be a better steward of our natural resources. The resources I'm referring to specifically are our lakes. This year I will do more to improve our fisheries through awareness education and habitat management.
3. I resolve to learn a new technique of fishing. It's hard not to fish a style that works but there are too many lures in my tackle box that are never used and this year I'm going to learn how to use them. Don't be surprised if one day I tell you that I caught'em on a jiggin spoon and a drop shot.
4. I resolve to fish a new lake. One of the greatest adventures is fishing a new body of water. The anticipation of catching bass on a lake that I have never fished before is a feeling that I want to experience this year.
5. I resolve to take more kids fishing. The best way to expose kids to our sport is by taking them fishing. It doesn't matter if they are young or old I want to share in the experience of reeling in a big one.
The list is not long but it's a start. If I'm able to achieve all of these resolutions I will have introduced someone new to fishing, improved the quality of our lakes, and learned something new. Those will be good accomplishments for 2008.
Kevin Stone is branch manager and loan officer at Valley State Bank and can be reached at (256) 332-3600.