Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
3:30 pm Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Local grocers pull spinach from store shelves

By Staff
Jason Cannon Editor
Federal health officials await test results from California farms and packing plants that could allow them to pinpoint the source of an E. coli outbreak that's sickened spinach eaters across the country.
And it's had at least a small affect locally.
Big Star grocery store employees have had to pull the possibly tainted brand, Fresh Express – which is owned and operated by California-based Natural Selection Foods LLC – from their shelves and wait for the government's approval before they can begin selling it again.
"We received a shipment recently," said Assistant Store Manager John Cook, "but we had to turn around and send it right back."
Cook said Fresh Express is a national name brand.
"That's one of about two main brands," he said.
The store hasn't made any long-term decisions about how to handle the void in their produce department and Cook said they likely won't until the Food and Drug Administration has their final say.
"Bagged spinach isn't a big seller for us any way," he said, "and as far as switching brands, (the E. Coli scare) will affect spinach sells regardless of the brand."
Though state and federal officials have traced the outbreak to the west coast company's fresh spinach, they still don't know how bacteria contaminated the leafy greens.
They have ruled out tampering, leaving multiple other potential sources of contamination, including the water and fertilizer that farmers in California's Salinas Valley use to grow much of the nation's spinach crop. Testing could reveal that source, though that isn't guaranteed.
It is the 20th food-poisoning episode since 1995 linked to spinach or lettuce, the Food and Drug Administration said.
At least eight were traced to produce grown in the Salinas Valley.
So far, E. coli cases linked to tainted spinach have been reported in 21 states, but none in Alabama.
Associated Press writers Andrew Bridges, Marcus Wohlsen and Louise Chu contributed to this story.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *