Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
4:24 am Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Berryman sentenced to 4 months

By Staff
Jason Houston FCT Managing Editor
Local businessman Elbert Berryman was sentenced Monday to serve four months in federal prison in connection with bank fraud charges.
U.S. Attorney Alice Martin said in a press release that Berryman was sentenced on one charge of making false statements to a federally insured institution.
In addition to the jail time, the 74-year-old Berryman, of 9430 Franklin 75 in Russellville, was also sentenced to four months of home detention and two years of supervised release.
According to the press release, Berryman pleaded guilty to the charge on March 1, 2004. He was sentenced by Judge U.W. Clemon.
Martin said Berryman was indicted by a federal grand jury on Dec. 30, 2003. The sentencing had been successfully delayed several times by Berryman's attorney, Don Holt of Florence, who cited Berryman's health problems as reasons to delay the sentencing.
This case was investigated by Special Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Angela R. Debro.
Berryman is currently serving jail time on a 12-month sentence handed down in Franklin County circuit court in January. Berryman was convicted in a one-day trial last October of theft of property and later sentenced to six-years, split to serve one year.
After unsuccessful appeals to the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals and the Alabama Supreme Court, he turned himself in to local authorities on Dec. 3 and was transferred to Kilby Correctional Facility to begin his 12-month sentence, sheriff's department officials said.
Evidence in Berryman's trial indicated he sold a parcel of land that he did not own. The theft charge was a Class B felony that carried a potential sentence of 20 years in prison.
Berryman has another, similar theft case still pending. Holt said Tuesday that the case was likely to be dismissed.
District Attorney Lee Osborn said Tuesday it was his understanding that the victims in the second case were satisified and did not with to proceed to trial, making a dismissal of the case likely at some point in the near future.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *