Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
1:22 pm Friday, October 15, 2004

Barbour's challenge: Show me the money'

By Staff
from staff and wire reports
Oct. 15, 2004
JACKSON Medicaid benefits have been restored to 50,884 people who had been cut from the health care plan.
Attorneys representing the Division of Medicaid and plaintiffs who sued to recover their benefits presented a consent decree agreement to U.S. District Judge Henry T. Wingate on Thursday. Wingate approved the consent decree and set a hearing for Feb. 3 to review what had been done by the state.
Mark Garriga, an attorney for Medicaid, said the decree restores benefits until Jan. 31, 2005. The decree affects beneficiaries in the Poverty Level Aged and Disabled category. It does not apply to the 17,000 PLADs who now receive Medicaid coverage through a federal waiver or those who applied for benefits after July 31, 2004.
Gov. Haley Barbour said the litigation had confused recipients. He said he would look to state lawmakers the majority of whom had approved the reforms to come up with the $100 million needed for Mississippi's cash-strapped Medicaid program if the transition does not go into effect.
Barbour said the new timetable would give lawmakers time to decide how to fund a Medicaid program that has more than doubled in cost in
five years; large deficits are projected during the upcoming fiscal year.
A lawsuit filed in federal court last month questioned the sufficiency of the original transition notification letter sent in June, and approved by the Attorney General's Office, and sought to indefinitely delay the transition.
Barbour said he was unsure where the Legislature would find the $100 million the PLAD transition would have saved, but that it would now be the responsibility of Medicaid reform opponents to identify the source.
Barbour said he will now focus the state's efforts on other parts of the Medicaid Reform Act. "We will now direct our energies toward making sure that the only people who receive Medicaid benefits are those who are truly eligible. Fighting fraud will save money for the truly needy," he said.
More than 768,000 Mississippians receive Medicaid services. PLAD recipients make up about 6 percent that Medicaid population. However, a Division of Medicaid analysis in September determined that 75 percent of the PLAD recipients would pay no more for drug costs on Medicare coverage than they would on Medicaid. This would leave only 12,000 recipients paying more, or 1.5 percent of Mississippi's total Medicaid population.
The main thrust of the suit challenged the state on grounds that it failed to provide proper notice of the termination of Medicaid benefits.
Attorney General Jim Hood, who had sought to intervene in the lawsuit, said he would monitor how Medicaid handles the situation.
I will attempt to go back to the table and explain what the law requires,'' Hood said. We'll see if they follow the law. It's my job to enforce the law.''
The law's passage set off a firestorm of protests as health care advocates complained that many people would be left without coverage, especially for prescription drugs.
Barbour said many PLAD participants would get comparable care under Medicare, which is wholly funded by the federal government.

Also on Franklin County Times
Watermelon Winners 2026
B: WATERMELON FESTIVAL, Franklin County
Griffin Traylor 
August 20, 2026
MOST UNUSUAL   First place: Lorena Bonilla (Russellville)     BEST DRESSED   First place: Aymar Bonilla (Russellville)   Second place: Candy Owens (La...
Byrd’s final song a fitting tribute
News, Russellville, Z - News Main
By Brady Petree 
August 19, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — When organizers landed country music star Tracy Byrd as the headline performer for the 45th annual Franklin County Watermelon Festival,...
Russellville graduate deported
Main, News, Russellville, ...
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
August 19, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE – A 19-year-old Russellville High School graduate was deported from the United States on Aug. 9, according to the Department of Homeland ...
Locomotive gets new paint at Railroad Park
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
August 19, 2026
RED BAY — The 1923 steam locomotive at the Railroad Park is getting a new paint job as work on a concrete pad, lighting and other features continues. ...
RMS kicks off character program
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
August 19, 2026
RUSSSELLVILLE – Liberty Learning Foundation programs at Russellville Middle School now extend through all three grade levels with sixth graders studyi...
Obituaries
Obituaries
August 19, 2026
  John Wayne Terry Aug. 12, 2026   John Wayne Terry, 68, of Russellville, passed away Aug. 12. Visitation took place at Spry Memorial Chapel Aug. 18 f...
Railroad consolidation: Proof, not promises, needed
Columnists, Opinion
August 19, 2026
Few things are more important to Alabama’s economy than a reliable freight rail system. Our manufacturers depend on it. Our farmers depend on it. Our ...
First Baptist Church celebrates 159 years
Columnists, News, Opinion, ...
HERE AND NOW
August 19, 2026
Russellville First Baptist Church earlier this month celebrated 159 years of existence. At the annual homecoming celebration, we welcomed many new and...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *