Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
10:11 pm Friday, August 27, 2004

Sex offenders arrested for not registering

By By Georgia E. Frye / staff writer
August 27, 2004
The Lauderdale County Sheriff's Department this week charged eight people for failure to register as sex offenders. The arrests were part of a six-county sting to round up those who have not complied with state law.
Earlier this week, Attorney General Jim Hood and State Department of Public Safety Commissioner Rusty Fortenberry contacted sheriffs and asked them to help track unregistered sex offenders.
Hood and Fortenberry held news conferences in Tupelo, Gulfport and Vicksburg Thursday to announce the initiative.
In total, law enforcement officers were looking for 55 offenders in Lauderdale, Harrison, Warren, Washington, Lee and Forrest counties.
Lauderdale County originally had 10 people on its list. Sheriff Sollie said the local search was conducted by his deputies and members of the East Mississippi Drug Task Force.
Of the eight charged, Sollie said, two were already in custody at the Lauderdale County Detention Facility for unrelated arrests. One offender on Lauderdale County's list has moved to another county and will be served with an arrest warrant there. The final name on the list belonged to a sex offender who actually was in compliance and had mistakenly been included.
A 1994 law requires individuals convicted of certain sex-related crimes to register with the Department of Public Safety. The law applies to people who were convicted in Mississippi as well those convicted in another state who later moved to Mississippi.
In addition to initially registering as sex offenders, these individuals are required to re-register every 90 days and notify the Department of Public Safety if they change their address. There are about 3,000 offenders on the registry.
Sollie said Fortenberry may ask the state Legislature next year to change the registration process because many feel the current system is not working.
People who fail to do so face a $5,000 bond and a maximum of five years in prison.
Those charged this week in Lauderdale County for failure to register as sex offenders who were not already in custody at the jail are:
Daryl Barfield, 37, 819 30th Ave.;
Adolphus Coleman, 43, 2008 Willow Bend Drive;
Douglas Dickerson, 51, 220 Highway 487, Sebastopol;
Willie Dunningan, 47, 4208 South St.;
Michael Hairston, 52, 2611 10th St.
Marquez Harris, 30, 2305 D St.;
William Harris, 40, 2419 22nd St.; and
Willie Solomon, 29, 107 71st Place.
To review information about sex offenders known
to be living in Lauderdale County, visit the Mississippi Department of Public Safety's sex offender registry Web site at www.sor.mdps.state.ms.us.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *