Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
8:46 pm Friday, August 20, 2004

Mayor: Council budget changes
won't work

By By Fredie Carmichael / staff writer
August 20, 2004
Meridian city councilmen could make changes today to their proposed spending plan for the next fiscal year that begins Oct. 1.
Council President Bobby Smith of Ward 5 scheduled an 8 a.m. work session after Mayor John Robert Smith said changes councilmen made to the budget two weeks ago would cause a deficit.
Councilmen originally planned to cut an employee pay raise from 2.5 percent to a $750 across-the-board raise, which they expected to save the city about $300,000. Giving employees a $750 across-the-board increase means those workers who earn less than $30,000 a year would pocket more money than they would with a 2.5 percent raise as originally proposed.
Councilmen suggested the city could spend the extra money on five new public works employees; five new police officers, including two to patrol Bonita Lakes; and new restrooms at Lakeview Golf Course.
But the mayor, who was out of town two weeks ago when councilmen met to discuss the budget, said it won't work.
Some councilmen, though, who aren't expected to adopt the budget until later this month or early next month, say they plan on standing by their proposed changes.
Today's meeting comes days after two public meetings were held to allow residents to talk to city officials about how tax dollars are spent.
On Monday, about 50 residents raised concerns about a proposed 10 percent hike in water and sewer rates, the third consecutive annual raise in the rates.
Tuesday's public hearing centered around the city's proposed $43.9 million spending plan for the next fiscal year that begins Oct. 1.
Earlier this month, councilmen met for three days to craft the budget and prioritize the city's spending. At that time, they decided on the change in employee pay raises as a way to add the police officers and public works workers and make improvements at Lakeview Golf Course.
And even though the mayor and his staff have said the council's proposed changes to the budget won't work, Ward 3 Councilman Barbara Henson said she still hopes they can.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *