Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
11:32 am Saturday, July 17, 2004

Elderly cautioned to be on alert to telephone cons

By By Steve Gillespie / staff writer
July 16, 2004
Elderly and disabled people due to be dropped from the state's Medicaid rolls should be careful not to fall prey to con artists posing as officials seeking information.
Gwendolyn Williamson, of Bailey, said her 86-year-old mother was notified by the state that her Medicaid coverage would change later this year.
Earlier this week, Williamson's mother, who lives in Collinsville, said she received a phone call from a woman who said she was doing a follow-up interview with people cut from Medicaid and began asking her personal questions.
Williamson said her mother told the caller that she should talk to her daughter and gave the caller Williamson's phone number.
Williamson said she called the Meridian Medicaid office and the state Medicaid office asking if they were doing follow-up interviews over the phone with people to be dropped off the rolls.
Although elderly people are often targets of illegal telemarketing schemes, spokesmen for the Meridian Police Department and Lauderdale County Sheriff's Department said they have not had reports of suspicious telephone calls regarding Medicaid.
Whether the call was legitimate or not, Detective Dean Harper of the Meridian Police Department said Williamson's mother did the right thing to avoid being taken advantage of.
Maj. Ward Calhoun of the Lauderdale County Sheriff's Department added that people should never give out their checking account numbers or credit card numbers over the phone.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *