Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
1:14 am Tuesday, October 21, 2003

USM suspends Blackwell for breaking rules

By By Tony Krausz / assistant sports editor
Oct. 21, 2003
HATTIESBURG The University of Southern Mississippi (3-3, 3-0 Conference USA) may have gained a quarterback last week, but the team has recently lost the services of a running back.
Junior Tim Blackwell, who sat out the 2002 season, was suspended from the team on Sunday, said head coach Jeff Bower during his Monday press conference.
Blackwell leads the team in rushing this season with 274 yards, and he has scored three touchdowns. The junior is averaging 54.8 yards per game.
Blackwell's suspension came on the heels of the return of the Golden Eagles season-opening starting quarterback Micky D'Angelo.
The junior quarterback had missed USM's last three games because of a concussion he suffered against Memphis on Sept. 13.
D'Angelo's return has created a three-player competition for the signal-caller's spot in the game against the University of South Florida this weekend.
While D'Angelo was out, sophomore quarterback Dustin Almond started one game and entered in the second quarter of the other two games. Almond has thrown for 490 yards this season.
Freshman quarterback Damion Carter started the last two games for USM, and he saw action in the fourth quarter of the team's loss to Nebraska on Sept. 25. He threw for 195 yards during D'Angelo's absence.
D'Angelo, who returned to practice at the start of last week, had thrown for 418 yards and one touchdown before suffering his fourth concussion in a year.
Bower said the junior quarterback is slowly getting back in playing shape, after not being able to practice for nearly four weeks.
USM had an open date on its schedule last Saturday that not only gave D'Angelo extra time to show he is ready to play, but it also allowed other members of the team to heal.
Ronald Jones and Greg Brooks were expected to return to practice on Monday after sitting out last week with ankle injuries, and Travis Cooley worked our full time for the first time last week.
Rod Davis, who momentarily left the Alabama game on Oct. 11 because of cramps, was giving time off during the open week, and Eric Scott practiced late in the week, after some time off.
USM is scheduled to kick off against South Florida at 2 p.m. Saturday at M.M. Roberts Stadium.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
February 18, 2026
There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of staying home. They fill the sidew...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *