Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
5:40 am Thursday, August 21, 2003

Threatt: Meridian wants to take over'

By By Fredie Carmichael / staff writer
Aug. 21, 2003
Marion Mayor Malcolm Threatt says he believes the city of Meridian is trying to bully his residents into eventual annexation.
Meridian Mayor John Robert Smith insists he just wants Marion to pay a past-due bill.
At issue is $72,500 Marion owes Meridian for sewage treatment about $45,500 for June and about $27,000 for July.
Threatt said his system's leaky pipes have allowed rain water to enter the lines, doubling the amount of water Marion sends to Meridian for treatment, and creating huge spikes in the amount of each month's bill.
Before this year's unusually wet summer, the sewage treatment bill for Marion's 1,300 residents was $10,000-$13,000. Threatt said Meridian officials are less than understanding of the smaller town's situation.
Bad situation gets worse
Tension between the neighboring municipalities rose earlier this year when a Lauderdale County chancery judge ruled that Meridian could begin charging Marion $2.43 cents per thousand gallons of treated sewage up from 67.7 cents per thousand gallons.
The ruling ended a two-year battle over the sewage rate.
The two have also been locked recently in heated annexation battles Meridian winning the most recent skirmish last year to proceed with an attempt to annex parts of north Lauderdale County.
Threatt said he believes Meridian officials are positioning themselves to swallow his town.
Threatt said Marion became a target when it attracted new industrial and commercial attention.
Threatt said he believes his town can pay the debt and prevail. He said he's already talked to a local bank about borrowing money to pay the current debt and town officials are also considering treating the town's sewage themselves.
Meridian's viewpoint
Mayor Smith said he's talked with several Marion residents who have expressed interest in becoming Meridian residents.
In the meantime, Smith said, he just wants Marion to pay up or Meridian officials will have to sue.
He said it's not Meridian's problem how much rain water is leaking into Marion's system.
Smith said he expects the situation to get worse.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *