Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
9:50 pm Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Judge to Meridian: You didn't ask for the money

By By Suzanne Monk / managing editor
April 30, 2003
A Lauderdale County chancery judge has ruled than Meridian officials are not entitled to more than $380,000 they claim is owed by Marion in fees for unpaid sewage treatment.
The decision comes after a lawsuit between the city and the town earlier this year.
Marion officials filed the complaint in February 2001 after Meridian raised the smaller town's sewage treatment rates from 67.7 cents per thousand gallons to $2.43 cents per thousand gallons.
Marion appealed to Chancellor Jerry Mason to stop Meridian from charging the higher rate citing a 1986 agreement between the Marion Board of Aldermen and the Meridian City Council. For its part, Meridian claimed that one city council cannot make binding agreements for future city councils.
The case went to trial in January. Mason ruled in favor of Meridian, and the $2.43 rate went into effect.
After the judge's decision, however, both sides claimed victory in the matter of retroactive damages.
Meridian began billing Marion at the $2.43 rate in February 2001, but Marion continued paying at the old rate of 67 cents per thousand gallons. The difference in payments between February 2001 and November 2002 was more than $380,000 and Meridian wanted the money.
In a decision issued Tuesday, the judge said they can't have it for the simple reason that they didn't ask for it. It was not, Mason said, an issue before him and Meridian did not ask for what it viewed as delinquent payments until after the trial was over.
Despite their failure to put the question before the judge at trial, Meridian attorneys had asked Mason to alter his order and award retroactive damages to prevent "manifest injustice."
Marion Mayor Malcolm Threatt said today he was relieved by the ruling.
Meanwhile, since January's ruling allowing Meridian to charge $2.43 per thousand gallons for sewage treatment, Marion has raised the rate it charges its residential customers from $3 per thousand gallons to $6.10 per thousand gallons.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *