• 68°
franklin county times

Newton makes big rally

By By Marty Stamper/EMG sports assistant
December 21, 2002
NEWTON If the good folks at Newton need any inspiration as they rebuild their tornado-ravaged city, they could have gotten some from their boys' basketball team Friday night.
One day after an F-2 tornado hit just past the school, the Tigers rallied from a 21-point first quarter deficit to beat Scott Central 85-82 in a Division 5-2A contest.
Scott came out hot as the Rebels led 12-5 just over three minutes into the game, putting together an 8-0 run to go up 20-5. They then added a 9-0 run to hold a 29-12 advantage at the end of the period after leading by as much as 29-8.
The Tigers came roaring back to beat the Rebels, but it wasn't easy.
Newton rallied to within 40-37 on a steal and layup by David Edwards with 3:13 left in the first half only to have Scott score 10 of the next 12 points for a 50-39 lead.
The Rebels led 52-44 at halftime.
After pulling even at 55-55 and 57-57, the Tigers saw the Rebels carry a 63-59 advantage into the fourth quarter.
Newton pulled back even at 68-68 with 6:01 remaining on a three-point play by Edwards.
The Rebels promptly scored the next four points to keep Newton playing catchup.
Zack Logan, who was in the BP service station when it virtually disintegrated around him during the tornado, hit a pair of free throws with 1:59 left to tie the game at 78-78.
A free throw by Cornelius Caraway with 1:56 showing gave the Tigers a 79-78 edge.
A basket by Nate McKee and two free throws by Roderick Loper gave Scott an 82-79 lead with 1:28 remaining. Coshune Bingham, who had missed his first five free throws, made 3-of-4 to pull Newton even once again at 82-82 with 1:07 to go.
Scott missed three field goals and a free throw and had a turnover over the next 30 seconds.
The Tigers capitalized on the Rebels' woes as Kolby Tillman hit a free throw with 15.1 seconds left for an 83-82 lead. Following another Rebel turnover, Caraway hit two free throws with 3.8 seconds to go.
A 3-pointer at the buzzer by Pierce Barlow, a mid-term transfer from Forest, hit the iron and bounced away.
Newton girls 65
Scott Central 51
Newton led by as many as 21 points before Scott closed to within 11 with just under two minutes to go.
The Lady Tigers jumped out to an 18-8 first quarter lead and held a 38-23 halftime advantage. After taking a 48-27 lead late in the third quarter, Newton saw the Lady Rebels rally to within 60-49 with 1:40 left.