Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
6:35 am Wednesday, December 4, 2002

Council decides not to fix mayor's sink hole

By By Fredie Carmichael / staff writer
Dec. 4, 2002
Mayor John Robert Smith will have to find another way to repair a sink hole in his backyard after city councilmen decided Tuesday they didn't want to fix it.
If they had repaired the sink hole, some councilmen said, then they may have to correct similar problems on other private property throughout the city.
Tuesday's action came about a month after the city's attorney, Bill Hammack, requested a state attorney general's opinion asking if the city had the authority to fix the hole.
In a letter to the city, state Attorney General Mike Moore said city officials have the authority to do the work with the mayor's permission.
The hole was created when an old underground culvert built by Meridian before 1950 collapsed behind Smith's 916 26th Ave. home.
Smith left Tuesday's meeting before the issue was brought before the council; he couldn't be reached for comment later in the day.
Smith said last week that he thought it was inappropriate for him to discuss the situation. The mayor said then he wanted the city council "to treat me like any other citizen."
Some councilmen said they believe the hole will never be fixed by city workers.
Ken Storms, the city's chief administrative officer, told the council he thought the city should repair the damage.
When Monty Jackson, the city's public works director, was asked if the city had the money to fix the problem, he said: "Yes, for this particular repair we do."
Ward 1 Councilman George Thomas shot back: "I'm not talking about this one, I'm talking about these other 200 to 300 that we're going to get."
Jackson said he didn't know how much those would cost.
COUNCIL TRIP
Three city councilmen were expected to leave today for Salt Lake City to participate in the National League of Cities meeting, according to Ward 5 Councilman Bobby Smith.
Smith, Ward 2 City Councilman Mary Perry, who serves as council president, and Ward 4 Councilman Jesse Palmer Sr. plan to attend the three-day convention.
Perry and Palmer left from the Meridian Regional Airport, while Smith said he planned to fly from Jackson because he found a less expensive flight.
The city will pay for the councilmen's hotel room, travel and food while at the convention.
OTHER BUSINESS
Meridian city councilmen took the following actions on Tuesday:
Approved spending about $78,000 for asphalt in a joint paving program with the Lauderdale County Board of Supervisors to pave Tanner Circle and Pippins, Mitchum, Scruggs, and Tanner roads in the city. Lauderdale County will pay for about $10,000 of the asphalt and county crews will do the work.
Approved a contract with Engineering Associates for design work associated with the industrial park interchange on Interstate 20/59.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *