Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
4:24 pm Saturday, October 19, 2002

Police arrest man in bomb threat

By By William F. West / community editor
October 19, 2002
A 61-year-old Meridian man was freed Friday on $10,000 bond after being arrested in connection with a bomb threat to Harris Upper Elementary School.
Richard Wayne Smith, 4512 28th St., is charged with false reporting of explosives. Police say Smith allegedly phoned the school at about 2 p.m. Thursday and said it was going to blow up.
Police Detective Denise McMullen said that the call was traced to the Texaco convenience store at 45th Avenue and 20th Street and that officers found Smith at the store.
McMullen declined to disclose details of the police investigation or why they suspect Smith, other than to say their case is supported by eyewitnesses who were at the store.
Harris Upper Elementary, 3951 12th St., has 227 fourth- and fifth-grade students.
Janet McLin, Meridian schools superintendent, said Harris Upper Elementary was evacuated. Nearby West End Elementary School also was evacuated.
The Meridian Police Department searched for explosives, McLin said, but found none. McLin said the bomb threat was the first one made to Harris Upper Elementary.
McLin said West End had a bomb threat in April 2001, but no one was charged. Kate Griffin Junior High School and Meridian High School also have been targets of bomb threats.
Earlier this month, the MPD arrested 18-year-old Reginald V. Walker II for phoning in two bomb threats to Meridian High.
Anyone convicted of making bomb threats could face up to 10 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine. Bomb threats are a felony charge in Mississippi.
On Friday, police and school officials said they will treat people who make bomb threats the same way regardless of age.
Police Chief Benny DuBose said he would lock up those who are caught phoning in bomb threats to schools. "We take it seriously and we're going to lock them up and continue to," he said.
McLin called for a firm hand in dispensing justice.

Also on Franklin County Times
Watermelon Winners 2026
B: WATERMELON FESTIVAL, Franklin County
Griffin Traylor 
August 20, 2026
MOST UNUSUAL   First place: Lorena Bonilla (Russellville)     BEST DRESSED   First place: Aymar Bonilla (Russellville)   Second place: Candy Owens (La...
Byrd’s final song a fitting tribute
News, Russellville, Z - News Main
By Brady Petree 
August 19, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — When organizers landed country music star Tracy Byrd as the headline performer for the 45th annual Franklin County Watermelon Festival,...
Russellville graduate deported
Main, News, Russellville, ...
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
August 19, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE – A 19-year-old Russellville High School graduate was deported from the United States on Aug. 9, according to the Department of Homeland ...
Locomotive gets new paint at Railroad Park
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
August 19, 2026
RED BAY — The 1923 steam locomotive at the Railroad Park is getting a new paint job as work on a concrete pad, lighting and other features continues. ...
RMS kicks off character program
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
August 19, 2026
RUSSSELLVILLE – Liberty Learning Foundation programs at Russellville Middle School now extend through all three grade levels with sixth graders studyi...
Major hire
High School Sports, Russellville Golden Tigers, Sports
RUSSELLVILLE GOLDEN TIGERS
RUSSELLVILLE LOOKS TO RIDE HIGGINS’ BOOST
By Matt St. Charles Sports Writer 
August 19, 2026
It was going to take a great opportunity for Darrell Higgins to leave Mars Hill at the end of last season. He’d been there for 10 years, coaching the ...
Obituaries
Obituaries
August 19, 2026
  John Wayne Terry Aug. 12, 2026   John Wayne Terry, 68, of Russellville, passed away Aug. 12. Visitation took place at Spry Memorial Chapel Aug. 18 f...
Still on the hunt
High School Sports, Red Bay Tigers, Sports
RED BAY TIGERS
By A. Stacy Long Sports Writer 
August 19, 2026
After enjoying a major year-over-year leap, Red Bay football instead took a step back over the offseason. Oh, my, boys basketball and baseball, what e...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *