Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
6:39 am Saturday, September 21, 2002

Council OKs budget but not water rate increase

By By Fredie Carmichael / staff writer
Sept. 21, 2002
The Meridian City Council rejected the city administration's last-ditch budget proposal Friday, funding city government for the next fiscal year without increasing water rates.
The administration says the move will leave Meridian about $800,000 short money needed to pay debts, hire employees and purchase new vehicles and equipment.
The city's attorney and chief financial officer said the approved budget could also mean legal troubles in the future.
Councilmen approved the $86 million budget by a vote of 3-2. Ward 3 Councilman Barbara Henson, Ward 4 Councilman Jesse Palmer Sr. and Ward 5 Councilman Bobby Smith voted to approve the budget.
Councilmen Smith and Palmer said after the meeting that they could not vote for a budget with a 10 percent water rate increase because they have been flooded with phone calls from constituents this week.
Palmer agreed.
City attempts
compromise
The problems began earlier this month when the mayor proposed raising water rates nearly 30 percent over the next three years including a 10 percent increase beginning Oct. 1.
Councilmen decided Tuesday in a work session that they wanted to approve the proposed budget, but said they discovered during that meeting that the proposed budget included the water rate increase.
The council then decided to delay a vote on the budget until Friday.
Before Friday's vote, city leaders presented a second proposal in which the water rates would only be raised for residents who use more than 2,000 gallons each month.
Their proposal also included dropping the rate increase from 10 percent to 8 percent, and using $600,000 from the water fund instead of the originally proposed $800,000 for the general fund.
The city's proposals were ignored.
Henson said the council was boxed in.
There will be
a price to pay'
Bill Hammack, the city's attorney, and Ed Skipper, the city's chief financial officer, said approving the budget without the 10 percent rate increase will put the city in violation of a bond code.
The code states that the city "annually establish rates, charges and fees sufficient to generate net revenues in each fiscal year not less than 110 percent of the aggregate of all debt service payments and fund allocations required under the various bond documents."
Without the rate increase, Skipper said, the city will no longer be in compliance with that code.
Hammock agreed.
Sept. 30 deadline
Some councilmen, though, did not agree.
Both Smith and Henson said they did not believe they violated any code in passing the budget without the increases.
City leaders said they now must go back and restructure the budget with $790,000 less in revenues. Skipper said the council's action will drop the proposed revenue in the water fund from $9,345,000 to $8,555,000.
The city must have a budget in place by Sept. 30.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
February 18, 2026
There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of staying home. They fill the sidew...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *