Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
9:10 pm Friday, August 23, 2002

Officials identify more West Nile cases

By By Steve Gillespie / staff writer
Aug. 23, 2002
A dozen more people have been diagnosed with West Nile Virus in Mississippi.
The Mississippi Department of Health reported a total of 76 human cases in 26 counties on Thursday including the first cases found in Clay, Lafayette and Simpson counties.
Hinds County, the hardest hit county, has had 25 human cases including one death. The mosquito-borne disease also has been found there in 14 dead birds, six horses and two mosquito pools.
A Pike County resident and a Madison County resident also have died from West Nile Virus. The Public Health Laboratory has processed about 600 human specimens.
The state Department of Health also has identified 152 birds, 74 horses and five mosquito pools with West Nile Virus in the state.
The updated statistics are the latest developments in a summer-long, West Nile scare. Most cases in Mississippi are West Nile encephalitis, a potentially deadly inflammation of the brain.
While no human cases have been reported in Lauderdale County, health officials have said they did find the disease in a dead bird that was discovered in the county.
Debra Lloyd, who lives off of 23rd Avenue in Meridian, said she and her family are concerned about the disease.
She said she found a dead crow in her front yard Aug. 13. She said the bird was submitted to the state Department of Health in Jackson for tests to determine if it had the West Nile virus.
When health officials announced late last week the virus had been found in a dead bird from Lauderdale County, no one said if the bird was Lloyd's crow or a blue jay that also had been sent for testing.
Crows and blue jays are tested for the virus because those species of birds are the most susceptible to the disease.
The state Department of Health has a toll-free West Nile Hotline for anyone with questions about the disease. The number, (877) 978-6453, operates from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *