Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
4:31 pm Friday, May 17, 2002

Judge dismisses DUI charge against city administrator

By By Suzanne Monk / managing editor
May 17, 2002
Judge Lester Williamson Jr. dismissed a DUI charge against Don Cross on Thursday in Meridian Municipal Court because the police officer who made the arrest was "unavailable to testify."
The officer, Donald Morgan, was unavailable to testify because he was charged May 6 with illegal possession of cocaine and illegal possession of crystal methamphetamine after a raid at his Clarke County home.
Morgan has since been fired.
Meridian attorney Robbie Jones represents Cross. Jones said his client is innocent and he would have been ready to proceed if the case had not been dismissed.
Back on the job
Today is Cross' first day back on the job after a 30-day suspension without pay that began April 17.
An earlier 30-day suspension, with pay, began Feb. 6 two days after he had a one-car accident that resulted in his DUI arrest.
Cross resigned shortly after the first suspension began, but later asked Meridian Mayor John Robert Smith if he could withdraw his letter of resignation.
Smith said he would hold the letter "in abeyance" while the two men talked through the issues. After his first suspension, and until April 17, Cross was presumably a paid employee of the city but did not keep office hours.
On April 16, Smith wrote a letter to Cross telling him he could keep his job under certain conditions. One of those conditions was improvements in the city's random drug screening program, which Cross oversees.
Civil Service appeal
Meanwhile, Cross has filed an appeal to the Meridian Civil Service Commission of his first 30-day, paid suspension.
He asked that action regarding the appeal be delayed until after his DUI trial in Meridian Municipal Court. Now that the trial is over, that appeal is expected to be taken up at the next Civil Service Commission meeting on June 11.
In this same appeal, Cross alleged that white city employees accused of similar wrong-doing had been treated differently by the city administration. He has consistently declined to comment on this complaint.
Cross did, however, say Friday that he will have a "more complete statement" about his recent troubles at some point in the future.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *