Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
10:51 pm Saturday, March 23, 2002

Newspapers and extra effort' sources

By By Suzanne Monk / managing editor
March 17, 2002
I don't do very many stories that involve talking to people who work at Meridian City Hall. The only public entity I regularly cover there is the Meridian Civil Service Commission.
The commissioners are unfailingly professional, polite and helpful and I would have to say that Gloria Kirby, their administrative assistant, is just about the most competent person I have ever met.
Very few public officials are rude, but some relationships require extra effort, like the one between me and City Clerk Ed Skipper.
Skipper is the city official in charge of public records requests and we have disagreed, in a civilized kind of way, over what I view as straightforward questions that should not require a written request for public records information.
Like the date Christopher McCoy pleaded guilty to driving under the influence in Meridian Municipal Court. I needed that for a recent column about a DUI maiming indictment that was dismissed in Lauderdale County Circuit Court because the defendant had already pleaded guilty to the same charge in city court.
Skipper pointed out to me that while I may view a question as "straightforward," he is less able to evaluate what is straightforward and what isn't because criminal proceedings are not his area of expertise.
But, he is the guy in charge of questions about them.
So, we are talking, trying to arrive at a solution that works for both of us. From his point of view, that means making sure nobody releases information they're not supposed to. From my point of view, that means getting an answer in something less than the 14-day response time allotted to a public entity that has received a public records request.
Skipper has suggested that I make up a list of commonly-asked questions pertaining to municipal court proceedings. Perhaps, he said, a city attorney could review that list and approve certain kinds of information for release without a formal request.
So, before I get aggressive about it, I'm going to work on the list.
Quick takes:
New commissioner: The Meridian Civil Service Commission welcomed a new member this week. James Albritton is the new Ward 5 commissioner, replacing Rae Ellen Gordon, who resigned at the end of last year. Albritton has lived in Meridian for more than 40 years. He retired from Rush Foundation Hospital about seven years ago. He and his wife, Freida Claire Albritton, have two grown daughters and three grandchildren.
No progress: I am not happy about the lack of progress in a story about Don Cross, a black city employee who says racial discrimination played a part in the mayor's decision to suspend him for 30 days after a DUI arrest. Cross says "non-minority" employees in similar situations have been treated differently. City officials, on the advice of counsel, decline to comment.
Mackey hearing: Meridian attorneys Dan Self and Robbie Jones attended Tuesday's meeting of the Civil Service Commission to ask that a public hearing be set in Richard Mackey's appeal. Mackey lost his job at the Meridian Fire Department after he was arrested for aggravated assault last summer. That indictment has been dismissed. His hearing is set for June 20.
Coroner's lawsuit: Lauderdale County Coroner Marl Cobler has filed suit in U.S. District Court against several state officials affiliated with the Mississippi Crime Lab and the Office of the State Medical Examiner. The lawsuit asserts that comments made by state officials with regard to the revocation of Cobler's professional accreditation were defamatory.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *