Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
6:47 am Wednesday, January 30, 2002

Meridian schools, law enforcement want help stopping school bomb threats

By By Steve Gillespie/staff writer
Jan. 30, 2002
Meridian School Superintendent Janet McLin announced a $1,000 award Tuesday for information leading to the conviction of anyone making bomb threats at all public schools.
Flanked by school district Safety Director Sam Thompson, Police Chief Benny DuBose and Fire Chief Bunky Partridge, McLin encouraged anyone with information to call the school's CrimeStoppers.
So far this year, this city school district has received six bomb threats three at the high school and three at Kate Griffin Junior High. Threatening a school with a bomb is a felony punishable by a prison sentence of less than five years.
DuBose said state legislators could consider a proposal this year increasing the penalty for reporting false explosives or weapons of mass destruction in public and private places.
Meridian police arrested an adult about a month ago for calling in a bogus bomb threat at one of the city's schools. He is now out on bail. DuBose declined to discuss the investigation that led to the arrest.
The time used to evacuate schools and check them for bombs varies.
McLin said it would take more than an hour to evacuate the school and then check for a bomb. Now that the Meridian Fire Department has a bomb-sniffing dog, she said, search time is shorter.
To emphasize her concern about disrupted classes, McLin cited requirements that third- and seventh-graders must pass state tests to move to the next grade level and high school students must pass subject tests to graduate.
REPORTING THREATS
People with information about bomb threats in Meridian public schools should call the school district's CrimeStoppers at 484-4906.

Also on Franklin County Times
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
February 18, 2026
There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of staying home. They fill the sidew...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...
Belgreen team wins Spark Tank contest
News, Russellville, Russellville Golden Tigers
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE Fourteen teams from three high schools pitched business ideas and competed for cash prizes during the second annual Franklin County Spark...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *