• 46°

Clarkdale pounds Southeast

By By Matt Barrett/staff writer
Jan. 11, 2002
The Clarkdale Bulldogs defeated a very physical Southeast Lauderdale 8-1 Thursday night to remain unbeaten at 8-0. The Bulldogs controlled the tempo for the entire game.
The Bulldogs scored quickly and often. David Prewitt scored his first of three goals with less than eight minutes into the first half. Prewitt received an assist from teammate Jonathan Pickett to put the Bulldogs on the board 1-0.
Southeast's Tyler Pope and Jay Butler responded by pushing the ball to the goal ending with the first and only score for the Tigers with 25 minutes remaining in the half. The roughness of the Tigers resulted in a Clarkdale penalty kick. David Prewitt's kick was true to place the Bulldogs in the lead 2-1.
Clarkdale found the goal again late in the first half. Prewitt's second assist came from an inbound pass to teammate Justin Culpepper. Culpepper received the inbound and followed up the effort with a very nice head shot to the goal. Clarkdale left the field with a comfortable 3-1 lead over the Tigers.
Jonathan Pickett's inbound pass to Daniel Warren was the first score for The Bulldogs in the second half. The goal left the Tigers trailing 4-1 with thirty five minutes remaining in the half.
Southeast continued to struggle the entire second half against the Clarkdale defense. The continuing rough play of the Tigers resulted in the second penalty kick with 20 minutes remaining in the half. Jake Gray's kick was true for the Bulldogs increasing the lead 5-1.
The Gray penalty kick was directly followed by his second goal of the night. William Clinton found Gray open in a pack of Tigers. Gray made an impressive move to the goal that ended in a 6-1 Bulldog lead with 17 minutes remaining.
Gray was injured on the next series and would not return to the game.
The remaining Bulldogs picked up where Gray left off by scoring two more Clarkdale goals. David Prewitt scored his third and final goal for the Bulldogs with 10 minutes remaining from an impressive distance. The score increased the lead for Clarkdale 7-1.
With less than six minutes remaining, Jonathan Pickett scored the final goal for the Bulldogs . The Clarkdale defense continued to shut down the Southeast attack leaving a final 8-1 score.
The Bulldogs play at Northeast Lauderdale tonight at six. Monday , Clarkdale faces off with defending league champs West Lauderdale following the girls game that starts at six.
Southeast, now 1-3, will play West Lauderdale at home next week.