• 37°

Northeast tops SE in OT

By By Josh Taylor/The Meridian Star
Sept. 8, 2001
Third quarter fireworks threw a storybook gridiron battle into overtime, leaving the Northeast Lauderdale Trojans with a 14-8 victory over host Southeast Friday night.
The first half went scoreless amid 10 penalties, two fumbles and both defenses in command.
The Tigers' first possession seemed to end in a punt, but was fumbled on the other end by Trojan Lavaris Portis. Willie Hood recovered for Southeast. However, the Tigers did not turn the play into a score and a defensive struggle ensued throughout the first half.
Southeast got on the scoreboard at the start of the second half when Travis Reed returned the kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown. Southeast converted a two point conversion pass from Ben Reed to Andy Landrum to put the score at 8-0.
The Trojans offense answered the call on their next possession with a 65-yard touchdown drive, capped off by a 22-yard touchdown rush off the legs of Marcus Betts with 5:35 left on the clock. Northeast tied the score with a two point conversion rush from Kelvin Horne.
That's how it stood until regulation time ended.
Northeast began the sudden death on the 10-yard line with four downs to score.
It only took the Trojans three plays, starting with an eight-yard rush from Horne and followed by two quarterback sneaks from Stephen Dyess. The final play resulted in a touchdown.
The two-point conversion attempt was stopped, leaving Northeast up 14-8.
The TIgers were given their chance to score. Southeast's first shot resulted in a ten-yard penalty, pushing them back to the 20. Southeast followed up with a dropped pass by Landrum and a Northeast penalty that pushed it back to the 15.
Quarterback Ben Reed rushed the next two downs amid tough Trojan pressure from Portis without much luck. Portis laid him down twice. The final play of the night was another incomplete pass from Reed on the seven-yard line, leaving the Trojans victorious 14-8.
The Trojans came away with nine penalties, three fumbles, and five first downs while the Tigers got five penalties, two fumbles, and eight first downs.
Horne came away with a total 65 offensive yards while Betts racked up 58.
Tiger Steven Willis had a big defensive game with four tackles including two sacks while Trojan Maurice Carlisle had two sacks.
The Trojans play West Lauderdale at home next Friday while the Tigers travel to Clarkdale.
Travis Reed led the Southeast attack with 142 yards total offense. Ben Reed's total yards were 90.
Josh Taylor is a sports writer for the Meridian Star. Call him at 693-1551 ext. 3234 or email him at jtaylor@themeridianstar.com.