Shubuta man convicted in armed robbery of bank
From staff reports
Aug. 24, 2001
A Clarke County jury has convicted 22-year-old Marcus Conner of armed robbery in a June 30, 2000, holdup at First State Bank of Shubuta.
The trial began Tuesday in Clarke County Circuit Court. Conner was one of three men arrested in connection with the robbery.
Richard Carter Jr., 22, originally was charged with conspiracy to commit armed robbery. Assistant District Attorney Lisa Howell said the indictment against him has been dismissed.
A third defendant, 19-year-old Steven Roundtree, was indicted for armed robbery and is scheduled to stand trial in November.
Witnesses to the holdup said two men wearing hoods and carrying weapons entered the bank about 11:30 in the morning. One of the men went to the manager, while the other ordered the two tellers to lie on the floor. The two men then took the money from the teller drawers and fled on foot.
The incident marked the second time in two years the bank had been robbed. It has since closed.
The arrests of Conner and Carter came July 14, 2000, after a two-week investigation by the Clarke County Sheriff's Department, the Shubuta Police Department, the Mississippi Highway Patrol and the FBI.
Clarke County Sheriff Todd Kemp said at the time he believed several people helped plan the robbery; Roundtree was arrested later.
A sentencing hearing for Conner has not been set.