Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
7:09 am Friday, August 24, 2001

Shubuta man convicted in armed robbery of bank

By Staff
From staff reports
Aug. 24, 2001
A Clarke County jury has convicted 22-year-old Marcus Conner of armed robbery in a June 30, 2000, holdup at First State Bank of Shubuta.
The trial began Tuesday in Clarke County Circuit Court. Conner was one of three men arrested in connection with the robbery.
Richard Carter Jr., 22, originally was charged with conspiracy to commit armed robbery. Assistant District Attorney Lisa Howell said the indictment against him has been dismissed.
A third defendant, 19-year-old Steven Roundtree, was indicted for armed robbery and is scheduled to stand trial in November.
Witnesses to the holdup said two men wearing hoods and carrying weapons entered the bank about 11:30 in the morning. One of the men went to the manager, while the other ordered the two tellers to lie on the floor. The two men then took the money from the teller drawers and fled on foot.
The incident marked the second time in two years the bank had been robbed. It has since closed.
The arrests of Conner and Carter came July 14, 2000, after a two-week investigation by the Clarke County Sheriff's Department, the Shubuta Police Department, the Mississippi Highway Patrol and the FBI.
Clarke County Sheriff Todd Kemp said at the time he believed several people helped plan the robbery; Roundtree was arrested later.
A sentencing hearing for Conner has not been set.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *