Archives
 By  Staff Reports Published 
8:23 pm Saturday, July 14, 2001

Musgrove, Tuck, Ford: Drawing the lines

By Staff
July 11, 2001
As Gomer Pyle once opined: "Shazam! Well, gollee!" When writing about Mississippi politics, one must take at look at both the lines and those impressions that rest between the lines. Last week, the lines clearly imparted the fact that Lt. Gov. Amy Tuck and House Speaker Tim Ford have both the intent and the votes necessary to do away with the so-called "5 percent growth" trigger that Tuck brokered to salvage the 2000 teacher pay bill.
To that end, they called on Gov. Ronnie Musgrove to include the issue of the 5 percent trigger in the call for a special session to deal with the complex issue of congressional redistricting that was expected in August.
Tuck who had previously defended the 5 percent trigger that was her legislative creation offered some rather vague explanations for her change of heart on the matter, but said that the June state revenue numbers influenced her decision. Ford offered solid support to Tuck and limited his press conference participation to offering a hearty "amen" to Tuck's proposal. Tuck argued that without the "trigger,"the bill raising teacher pay "would never have passed."
Musgrove responded before sundown on the day of the Tuck/Ford press conference and set a single-issue special session on the 5 percent trigger for July 18. And as fate would have it, that was the same date of the Southern Legislative Conference in Savannah, GA. Ford as it was well-known around the Capitol is set to chair that regional convention.
Tuck and 39 other lawmakers were already registered to attend the annual convention. Musgrove didn't consult with either Tuck or Ford about the special session date.
Ford said he considered Musgrove's actions " a personal insult." After a deluge of legislative and media criticism, Musgrove announced Tuesday while on vacation himself at an undisclosed location that he was rescheduling the special session for July 23.
Tuck and Ford maintain that regardless the date, a single-issue special session on the 5 percent trigger is a waste of $30,000.
Musgrove responded by saying that if necessary, he'd raise the $30,000 to pay for the session. He didn't say how or from whom he'd seek the money. That's the lines, gentle reader. Now let's look between the lines…
Tuck essentially announced for governor last week and appears to be trying to seize leadership on the education front from Musgrove. In backing off the 5 percent trigger, she's also tipping her hand that she'll be running as a Democrat because the GOP loved the trigger.
Musgrove mired in a myriad of problems, including his divorce, the disintegration of the leadership of the State Democratic Party and the fact that he's steering the state's ship through rough economic waters is engaged in a political warfare with the Legislature that borders on childishness and is at best aimless and petty.
Mississippi teachers are once again from a political standpoint being ridden like a rented mule.
Mississippi voters are sick to their stomachs of the bickering, infighting and waste of money associated with Musgrove's standoff with the Legislature.
It's time for all to exit the sandbox.
For years, I've kidded Musgrove about his high-pitched voice and how much it sounds like that of Gomer Pyle.
But these days, Musgrove isn't just sounding like Gomer. He's acting like him smiling and giggling, bumbling and stumbling as our governor.
Sid Salter is Perspective Editor/Columnist at The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson and a syndicated Mississippi political columnist. Contact him at (601) 961-7084, P.O. Box 40, Jackson, MS 39206, or e-mail ssalter@jackson.gannett.com.

Also on Franklin County Times
Miss Northwest Shoals 2026 to take place Saturday
News, Phil Campbell
Alyssa Sutherland For the FCT 
February 20, 2026
PHIL CAMPBELL — Northwest Shoals Community College will be host to the 2026 Miss Northwest Shoals scholarship pageant at 5 p.m. Saturday inside the Lo...
Tiffin Motorhomes to produce new line
Main, News, Red Bay, ...
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY — Tiffin Motorhomes is slated to open a new production line in Red Bay, according to Tiffin’s parent company, THOR Industries. Beginning May 1...
Dealer: Gold content not suitable for everyday use
Main, News, Z - News Main
By Addi Broadfoot For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
The push for a new $2.50 anniversary coin is raising logistical and economic questions, particularly about whether such a coin could be used in everyd...
Red Bay approves $3.6M budget
Main, News, Red Bay
By Brady Petree For the FCT 
February 18, 2026
RED BAY – City officials are expecting a slight decrease in sales tax revenue for the upcoming fiscal year but anticipating a larger general fund budg...
$5K TVA grant to bring student podcasting program to RES
News, Russellville
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Elementary School students will soon be recording podcasts, interviewing community members and exploring career paths in a program bein...
State is overlooking qualified local leaders
Columnists, Opinion
February 18, 2026
When I was elected to the Alabama State Senate in 1978, I was 39 years old. Now at the age of 87, when I go out in the community, I meet people who re...
Opinion: Here and Now – White to perform March 7 at the Roxy
News, Russellville
HERE AND NOW
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist 
February 18, 2026
By Susie Hovater Malone Columnist There is something special about a night out in a small town. People run into neighbors. They make a plan instead of...
Accessible basketball completes year 2
News, Russellville, Sports
María Camp maria.camp@franklincountytimes.com 
February 18, 2026
RUSSELLVILLE — Fifteen players took the court over four Saturdays at the Ralph C. Bishop Center for this year’s round of accessible basketball games. ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *