Philadelphia's 298th marks 50th anniversary
By By Steve Swogetinsky/The Meridian Star
May 4, 2001
PHILADELPHIA The 298th Corps Support Battalion of the Army National Guard will celebrate its 50th anniversary Saturday with an open house and special ceremony.
There are 220 National Guard personnel serving at the Philadelphia unit's armory, located on old Highway 19 North next to the Fire Station No. 1.
Philadelphia serves as headquarters for the 298th, with about 60 National Guardsmen stationed there to support it. Another 160 are stationed with the 367th Maintenance Unit.
A Bradley tank is being brought in from Camp Shelby in Hattiesburg to be among the displayed items on Saturday.
The open house starts at 10 a.m. There will be a special ceremony at 1 p.m.
The battalion recognizes its birthday as March 16, 1951, when it was reorganized in the Mississippi National Guard and headquartered in Philadelphia.
However, it was originally activated in January 1943 as the 750th Tank Battalion at Ft. Knox, Ky., and was deployed in Europe during World War II. The unit served in the Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe campaigns.
Since coming to Philadelphia, the unit has seen many reorganizations and re-designations. Through nine reorganizations, the battalion has maintained its strength and status as a superior unit.
Currently, the members of the battalion are preparing for a training mission to Ft. Irwin, Calif., where they will support the 256th Armored Brigade of Louisiana.
Steve Swogetinsky is regional editor of The Meridian Star. Call him at 693-1551, ext. 3217, or e-mail him at email@example.com.