Friends raise money for burn victim
By By Marianne Todd/The Meridian Star
March 6, 2001
Friends and family of an 8-year-old Lauderdale County boy severely burned Thursday are trying to raise money to cover his medical expenses.
Martha Tubby, aunt of Jeremy Sullivan, said the boy is listed in critical condition at Delta Regional Medical Center's burn unit in Greenville. Sullivan underwent surgery early Monday morning for third degree burns he sustained in the fire.
The accident occurred when Jeremy and his 13-year-old brother were apparently left unattended at their home. They boys' mother, Tammy Sullivan, had gone to the store and left her boyfriend in charge of the boys, Tubby said. Tubby's brother, Johnny Sullivan of Collinsville, is the boys' father.
Jonathan sustained burns to his face and hands trying to put out the fire on his brother, Tubby said. Jeremy sustained severe burns from his hairline to his chin, from his shoulders to his finger tips and from his thighs to his feet, she said.
Jeremy was transported to Jeff Anderson Regional Medical Center following the accident. Experts attempted to air-lift him to Greenville on Thursday night, but because of poor weather, they were forced to transport him by Metro Ambulance.
Doctors at the burn unit said the time until late Sunday night would be a critical time for Jeremy, Tubby said, and family members are now hopeful about his recovery.
Tubby describes her nephew, a Southeast Lauderdale Elementary School student, as "a doll, a loving person who loves the outdoors."
Tubby said the boys' mother does not have medical insurance. Residents who wish to help can contribute to a fund set up in Jeremy's name at Citizens National Bank, or at donation jars placed at every Super Stop in the county.
Marianne Todd is a staff writer for The Meridian Star. E-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.