• 45°

Elderly woman dies in fire

By By Marianne Todd/The Meridian Star
Jan. 22, 2001
An autopsy scheduled today for an elderly Meridian woman who reportedly died of burns in her home Sunday night is expected to rule out foul play.
Clayton Cobler, Lauderdale County deputy medical examiner investigator, said the woman apparently died after she got too close to a space heater.
The fire occurred about 10:30 p.m. at 1405 29th Ave. The woman, whose name was being withheld pending notification of family members, shared the apartment with two other women, both of whom are in their 90s, said Meridian Fire Chief Bunky Partridge.
Firefighters called to the scene found no fire on arrival, he said. The woman's roommates escaped without injury.
Partridge said members of the Arson Task Force are investigating.
Cobler said the woman's body will be transported to the Mississippi Mortuary in Jackson for autopsy. The report as to the cause of her death could be returned as early as Tuesday night.
Marianne Todd is a staff writer for The Meridian Star. E-mail her at mtodd@themeridianstar.com.

x