• 75°
franklin county times

Fire leaves Paulding family homeless

By By Marianne Todd/The Meridian Star
Dec. 8, 2000
County fire officials are investigating a Wednesday house fire that left a Paulding family homeless.
Lost Gap volunteer firefighter Jan Goss said she arrived at the 4672 Paulding Road home, owned by Willie and Thelma Jackson, to find the home fully engulfed in flames and the family standing in the road.
The fire occurred around 3 p.m.
Goss said family members believe the fire began in the ceiling of the master bedroom near a ceiling fan.
Goss said 23 volunteers from four departments Lost Gap, South, Meehan and and Long Creek were unable to save the home. Instead, firefighters focused on keeping flames away from nearby houses and gas tanks.
Goss said the family is staying with relatives in Forest, but had no insurance and need help. Residents interested in helping can call Jan Goss at 483-0399.
Marianne Todd is a staff writer for The Meridian Star. E-mail her at mtodd@themeridianstar.com.